Andrew Johnson Building - The Andrew Johnson Building is a high-rise office building in downtown Knoxville. Completed in 1930, the 203-foot structure was Knoxville's tallest building until the construction of the Plaza Tower in 1978. The building was originally home to the Andrew Johnson Hotel and is now used for office space by Knox County. In 1980, the Andrew Johnson Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
© 2018 by KnoxvilleTennessee.com All rights reserved.
Andrew Johnson National Historic Site - The Andrew Johnson National Historic Site honors the life of the 17th President.
Bijou Theatre - The Bijou Theatre is a theater located in Knoxville, Tennessee, USA. Built in 1909 as an addition to the Lamar House Hotel, the theater has, at various times in its history, served as a venue for live performances of both traditional theatre and vaudeville, a second-run moviehouse, a commencement stage for the city's African-American high school, and a pornographical show place.
Blount Mansion - Tennessee's frontier capital, 1792-1796. In Knoxville.
Bleak House - Confederate Memorial Hall - Bleak House, an antebellum mansion of fifteen spacious rooms and wide halls, stands well back on an eminence among lovely trees and elaborately landscaped grounds. The property fronts 250 feet on Kinston Pike and extends over 900 feet in terraced gardens down to Fort Loudon Lake (Tennessee River).
Fidelty Building - The Fidelity Building is an office building in Knoxville. Initially constructed in 1871 for the wholesale firm Cowan, McClung and Company, the building was home to Fidelity-Bankers Trust Company during the mid-twentieth century, and has since been renovated for use as office space.
First Baptist Church - First Baptist Church is a historic church located at 510 Main Street in Knoxville. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
First Baptist Church History - When young James C. Moses came to Knoxville in 1838 to work as a printer for the semi-weekly newspaper, THE TIMES, he attended First Presbyterian Church, and for a while directed the choir. When his brother, John, joined him in Knoxville, the young men began to wish for a Baptist church. Neither James nor John had been baptized, but they came from a solid Baptist background in Exeter, New Hampshire.
First Presbyterian Church Cemetery - The First Presbyterian Church Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in Knoxville, Tennessee, USA. Established in the 1790s, the cemetery contains the graves of some of Knoxville's most prominent early residents, including territorial governor and Constitutional Convention delegate William Blount and Knoxville founder James White. In 1996, the cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Historic Old North Knoxville - Old North Knoxville was developed as a streetcar suburb between the 1880's and the 1940's. Streetcar suburbs had a strong pedestrian orientation. Most people walked to their homes from the street car stop. The automobile did not have a major influence on Knoxville until the 1920's, so there are few driveways or garages in the neighborhood.
Historic Tennessee Theatre - established in 1928, the Tennessee Theatre is the official state theatre of Tennessee.
History of First Baptist Church - James C. Moses came to Knoxville in 1838 from Exeter, New Hampshire to work as a printer for The Times newspaper. When his brother, John L. joined him in Knoxville, they began to wish for a Baptist church. Through their friends in New Hampshire the two men approached the American Baptist Home Mission Society, and a missionary, Rev. A.J. Ballard, was sent to Knoxville.
History of First Presbyterian Church - Knoxville's First Presbyterian Church, the city's first church, was organized in 1792 and is still located on its original site. James White, Knoxville's founder and a devout Presbyterian, came from North Carolina to the Fork of the River, where the Holston and French Broad Rivers meet to form the Tennessee River. He later moved downriver and settled near First Creek. He built a fort and a mill and planted his garden -- for turnips in the fall and corn in the spring. When he asked his son-in-law, Charles McClung, to lay out a town, part of White's instructions were "to reserve my turnip patch for a church and a burying ground."
Knox County Sites on the National Register of Historic Places - Historic districts, residences, businesses, schools, cemeteries, churches, government.
Knox County Properties on the National Register - Lists resource name, address, and date listed.
Knoxville National Cemetery - Records of burials provided by the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs on July 2, 2000.
Mabry-Hazen House - built 1858, operated as a museum, in Knoxville, Tennessee
Marble Springs Historic Site - A Tennessee state 38 acre historic farmstead of Governor John Sevier. There are 5 period outbuildings dating from 1780. The memorial is also listed in the National Registry of Historic Places.
Market Square - Market Square is a pedestrian mall located in the center of downtown Knoxville, Tennessee, USA. Established in 1854 as a market place for regional farmers, the square has developed over the decades into a multipurpose venue that accommodates events ranging from concerts to political rallies, and has long provided a popular gathering place for artists, street musicians, war veterans, and activists.
Market Square Today - Knoxville's Market Square District has become a prime location for all kinds of entertainment. Whether you take your children down to play in the fountains while you shop the Market Square Farmers' Market or bring your sweetheart downtown for a romantic dinner and evening at the theatre, you'll find there's something for everyone. Market Square District is alive with music, performers, and gallery walks on the First Friday of every month. It is host to the International Biscuit Festival, First Night Knoxville and lends its support to Shakespeare on the Square, Hola Festival, Sundown in the City, Dogwood Arts Festival and other special events that make downtown Knoxville such a unique and enjoyable place.
Mechanicsville - Mechanicsville is a neighborhood in Knoxville, Tennessee, located northwest of the city's downtown area. One of the city's oldest neighborhoods, Mechanicsville was established in the late 1860s for industrial specialists and skilled laborers working the many factories that sprang up along Knoxville's periphery. The neighborhood still contains a significant number of late nineteenth century Victorian homes, and a notable concentration of early twentieth century shotgun houses.
National Register of Historic Places listings in Knox County, Tennessee - a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Knox County, Tennessee.
Old Gray Cemetery - Old Gray clearly depicts Knoxville's history as well as the Victorian era and provides an important example of cemetery planning and design during the rural-cemetery or garden movement. Old Gray Cemetery is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Ramsey House Plantation - Ramsey House was built for Colonel Francis Alexander Ramsey, a pioneer citizen who became prominent in the formation of the State of Franklin, the Territory South of the Ohio River, and the State of Tennessee.