1982 World's Fair
Bijou Theatre - The Bijou Theatre is a theater located in Knoxville, Tennessee, USA. Built in 1909 as an addition to the Lamar House Hotel, the theater has, at various times in its history, served as a venue for live performances of both traditional theatre and vaudeville, a second-run moviehouse, a commencement stage for the city's African-American high school, and a pornographical show place.
Church Street's Heritage & History - Church Street United Methodist Church history. Chronology and bibliography prepared by Allison R. Ensor (April 1997), in consultation with the History and Records Committee of CSUMC.
Farmers Market - Better known as the Western Avenue Farmers Market, visiting the farmers market was Knoxville's most popular event on Saturday mornings. Farmers throughout East Tennessee brought their produce to sell. It was displayed in an appealling way on wooden structures. There was row after row of produce and many different farmers. One could drive their vehicle into the pavilion and stop at any of the stands they chose, park, and visit several stands before getting back into their vehicle and driving home with their precious goods. (Coming soon: www.easttennesseefarmers.com)
First Baptist Church History - When young James C. Moses came to Knoxville in 1838 to work as a printer for the semi-weekly newspaper, THE TIMES, he attended First Presbyterian Church, and for a while directed the choir. When his brother, John, joined him in Knoxville, the young men began to wish for a Baptist church. Neither James nor John had been baptized, but they came from a solid Baptist background in Exeter, New Hampshire.
Historic Tennessee Theatre - established in 1928, the Tennessee Theatre is the official state theatre of Tennessee.
History of First Baptist Church - James C. Moses came to Knoxville in 1838 from Exeter, New Hampshire to work as a printer for The Times newspaper. When his brother, John L. joined him in Knoxville, they began to wish for a Baptist church. Through their friends in New Hampshire the two men approached the American Baptist Home Mission Society, and a missionary, Rev. A.J. Ballard, was sent to Knoxville.
History of First Presbyterian Church - Knoxville's First Presbyterian Church, the city's first church, was organized in 1792 and is still located on its original site. James White, Knoxville's founder and a devout Presbyterian, came from North Carolina to the Fork of the River, where the Holston and French Broad Rivers meet to form the Tennessee River. He later moved downriver and settled near First Creek. He built a fort and a mill and planted his garden -- for turnips in the fall and corn in the spring. When he asked his son-in-law, Charles McClung, to lay out a town, part of White's instructions were "to reserve my turnip patch for a church and a burying ground."
Museum of East Tennessee History - Open 7 days a week, the Museum of East Tennessee History showcases the history of the region's 35 counties through the award-winning exhibition, Voices of the Land: The People of East Tennessee, the East Tennessee Streetscape, and regularly changing feature exhibitions.
Roman Catholic Diocese of Knoxville - This diocese covers most of East Tennessee; in addition to the see city of Knoxville, it includes Chattanooga and Johnson City. The Mother Church is the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, located on Northshore Drive in Knoxville. The two oldest churches are Saints Peter and Paul Parish of Chattanooga and Immaculate Conception Parish of Knoxville, both founded in 1852.
Sharon Baptist Church History - In March of 1871, 46 people met to organize Sharon Baptist Church. Their first meeting place was a school house at the corner of Bishop and Emory roads in the Knoxville, TN area.